Tuesday, May 27, 2008

ENLIGHTENED

I took Colby to ball practice and while she was doing that I sat in the car and worked on my bible study. I am doing Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shirer. There were a couple of things the Lord drew me to and I wanted to share them with ya'll.

The first one was an example that she gave and it really got me to thinking about our society.
#1
Rebecca was reared in a home where all the women were divorced. In her family, divorcing for trival reasons and remarrying was the norm. As a result, she learned to think this was normal and acceptable. She struggles with thoughts of divorce in her own marriage because of the tradition of her family. Like Rebecca our conscience can be shaped in a way that is not pleasing to the Lord. This can hinder our ability to clearly hear what the Holy Spirit is saying to us.

As a child that was not reared in a Christian home this example really hit home and made me think about my childhood and past experiences that I wish I could change but more than that it made me realize how much we have to pay attention to what we watch on tv, what books we choose to read or what music we listen to. It is so easy to become immune to what society says is ok when it is not pleasing to God. I like that phrase.

#2
Priscilla describes the Holy Spirit as our control tower. She asks "How do we begin focusing on the control tower within? We begin our day surrendering ourselves to Him and asking Him to heighten our spiritual senses to see and hear Him throughout the day. Then, as we do the mundane tasks that consume our lives, we purposefully turn our awareness inward and say God, what do you think?

Romans 8:5, NLT
Those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit.

God led me to these 2 things today and both were needed to remind me that I need to go to Him more and rely on the Spirit that dwells within me.

I finished the tiling tonight. Scott called me Tool Man Taylor. I don't think anyone will be hiring me to do it for them but it does enable me to have access to my window and not have a yucky curtain up to cover it.

now I am on the look out for a desk and shelf. I have decided to put a small desk by the bar in the dining room and a shelf on the wall going out to the back yard. I need a place to pay bills and more storage. I will have to hit the yard sales this weekend. I want a old desk like I had when I was a child. Nothing fancy b/c I could antique it like i did my Hutch. I will have to show ya'll a picture of it. I will work on that.

Did any of you watch the news tonight? I was listening as I was writing this and Meals on Wheels is reducing their meals by 2 a week I think hopefully not per day. One older lady they interviewed said she has oatmeal that she can use. What is wrong with this picture. I know that gas prices are up and the economy is in trouble but can't we take care of our elders. I can think of a few programs that could be reduced and some really young people that could get off there duff and go to work instead of using the system. I will get off my soap box. It just made me sad for those that rely on this for their meals. Their donations are down and that is part of the reason for the reduction. If you can give a few dollars to this organization it would help lots of people.

Happy Wednesday
Blessings,
Pam

1 comment:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Pam, thank you for stopping by to see me. I hope you'll come back again soon!

Rhoda